Assistant Project Manager
Knutson Construction is accepting applications for an experienced Assistant Project Manager to join our team in our Minneapolis office. “Together We Make Dreams Real” – that’s our purpose as a company and we exist to work in concert with each other, owners, design professionals and subcontractors to make the journey as stress-free as possible.
Together, we’ve created a dynamic, fun, inspiring environment where we can be ourselves and grow each day. At Knutson, opportunities to shine happen daily. We value what makes you different and empower you to act on your ideas. Our culture is one that encourages, supports, and feels like a family.
A prerequisite for those striving to become a Project Manager, this position is responsible to support the management of construction projects to promote quality outcomes, provide a safe working environment, and maximize financial performance.
The key job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assist in identifying and organizing information that determines costs for multiple projects to maximize financial performance.
- Collaborates with project team and the estimating department to develop an understanding of project scope.
- Works with project team and bid team to develop bid packages and solicits bids.
- Participates and assists with site logistics, schedule creation and project approach write up on RFP requests.
- Encouraged to participate in interview process for potential new work.
- Assists with developing and implementing the overall construction schedule with the project team.
- Reviews cost reports against budget with the project team and develops appropriate solutions to resolve variances.
- Participates in monthly project financial projections.
- Assist in identifying and controlling project risk, in coordination with the project team, to promote quality outcomes, provide a safe working environment, and mitigate financial exposure.
- Reviews and understands the implications of all contracts and contract documents and reports exposure(s) to project manager.
- Work together with on-site construction team and ensure thorough plan/ specification review.
- Assists with developing strategies with project team to mitigate subcontractor defaults.
- Enforces and supports project safety policies and practices.
- Enforces and supports project quality assurance/quality control policies and practices.
- Lead project meetings and project closeout process.
- Perform frequent on-site visual project review.
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with stakeholders (owner, design team, subcontractors, and others) to promote project efficiency and position Knutson Construction for future opportunities.
- Delivers an exceptional project experience to all customers.
- Promotes Knutson Construction’s name through community involvement
- Participates in the RFP process
- Initiates and utilizes professional networks.
- May participate in the selection, training, development, and performance of project management staff to retain a motivated, professional workforce for Knutson Construction by:
- Assisting in the recruitment process and provide input to the selection of qualified employees for vacant positions.
- Communicating job responsibilities and performance expectations to assure mutual understanding of desired results; resolving internal and/or external barriers that prohibit successful goal achievement.
- Providing input to staff performance assessments; providing positive and constructive feedback on an ongoing basis to reinforce desired result.
- Identifying training and/or development opportunities that will assist the employee in achieving enhanced job performance and/or career objectives.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of and proficiency in using personal computers and related Microsoft software including project management and schedule software applications.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and ability to apply project management construction processes.
- Basic knowledge of safety, quality and constructability issues.
- Knowledge of subcontracting processes including soliciting bids, reviews of scopes, drafting contracts and executing close out processes
- Basic knowledge of permitting processes.
- Skill in verbal and written communication and facilitating meeting with project teams, subcontractors, field personnel and owners.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet timelines for multiple projects.
Minimum Education and/or Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Engineering, Construction Management, Architecture or related field and minimum of 4 years of commercial construction experience or Associates Degree in a construction related field and a minimum of 7 years of commercial construction experience.
- Construction related certifications and trainings are highly desirable.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.